Organic fertilizers are fertilizers derived from animal matter, animal excreta (manure), human excreta, and vegetable matter (e.g. compost and crop residues). Naturally occurring organic fertilizers include animal wastes from meat processing, peat, manure, slurry, and guano.
Processed organic fertilizers include compost, humic acid, amino acids, and seaweed extracts. Other examples are natural enzyme-digested proteins. Decomposing crop residue (green manure) from prior years is another source of fertility.
Major sources of organic manure:
- Cattle shed wastes-dung,urin,and slurry from biogas plants.
- Crop wastes-sugarcane trash,stubbles and other related material.
- Human habitation wastes: human urin, town refusesewage and sludge poultry litter,droppings of sheep and goad.
- Increases water holding capacity.
- No risk of forming toxic build up of chemicals.
- In addition to releasing nutrients, it improves soil structures.